Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sample of a Breakfast and Dinner meal:

Breakfast

1 cup warm water w/ tsp of lemon
2 strips of turkey bacon - seasoned w/crushed red pepper & black pepper - cooked in     cast iron skillet
2 slices of french toast - 100% whole wheat bread - cooked in stainless steel skillet
                                        1 egg
                                        orange juice instead of milk
                                        cinnamon
                                        brown sugar
                                        country crock spread
                                        blue agave
8 oz Smoothie made in blinder - 1 banana, fresh
                                                     1 lg leaf of kale, fresh, raw
                                                     2 tbs ground flax seeds
                                                     2 tbs wheat germ
                                                     5 strawberries, frozen
                                                     hand-full of blueberries, frozen
                                                     hand-full of blackberries, frozen
                                                     hand-full of raspberries, frozen
                                                     hand-full of cranberries, fresh
                                                     orange juice to cover bottom (simply brand)

Dinner

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (organic, free range) - baked in glass pyrex
                      w/ turmeric, thyme, garlic, rosemary
crimini mushrooms - saute' in stainless steel skillet w/ onions, rosemary, soy sauce
rainbow swill chard - saute' in stainless steel skillet w/ 6 kalamata olives, garlic,
                                  sea salt, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil
8 oz glass of water
2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread - toasted in oven on broil w/ mozzarella cheese,
                                   garlic, extra virgin olive oil

Dessert

small bowl of Haagen Dazs vanilla frozen yogurt (live & active cultures) w/ tbs of
                                   Hershey's Dark Chocolate

Food Combining
I had never experienced what foods should or should not go with what.  In checking the chart I can see where I have been eating proteins and carbohydrates together.  I also eat fruit with my meals or after my meal. What I found on food combining states that fruit should be eaten alone or on an empty stomach.  I see now that the role of the fruit is to cleanse the digestive tract and prepare the digestive tract to absorb the nutrients of the main meal.

pH Alkaline vs Acidic
The majority of the meals were under the alkalizing category.  However, the acidifying foods weighed heavy.  Using the Alkalizing vs Acidifying Foods & Lifestyle chart, I counted up how many times I used a food, seasoning, etc in each column.  Then I multiplied the number I got in each column with the number rating for that column.  Next, I added the numbers together, then dividing to get my percentage.
Alkalizing  +59
Acidifying  -23
                 +82          +59  divide by +82  =  71% Alkalizing

ORAC
I got most of the ORAC values for antioxidants in the meal:
Cinnamon     267,536
Turmeric       159.277
Black Pepper  27,618
Thyme            27,426
Cranberries     9,584
Agave              7,274
Blueberries     6,552
Blackberries   5,347
Garlic              5,346
Raspberries    4,882
Strawberries    3,577
Lemon Juice    1,225
Onion               1,220
EVO Oil            1,150
Banana                879
Orange Juice       726

Fiber
Listed below are many of the foods included in the two meals.
Flax Seeds   5.4 g                   Wheat Germ   8.2g
Raspberries  8.0g                   Strawberries   3.8g
Banana          2.8g                   Blueberries      3.92g
Kale               2.6g                   Whole Wheat Bread  3.8g
Swiss Chard 3.7g                   Crimini Mushrooms   .9g
Cranberries   1.99g                 Orange Juice    3.1g                
                                                    
Refined Sugar
I used brown sugar in the french toast, which was not very much (about a tsp).  And the orange juice may have been a half cup so I will estimate about 22 grams of sugar.

Calorie Analysis
The breakfast calories were 1733, which is high.  Riding my bike at 10mph for an hour would burn 492 calories.  So for this meal I would need to ride for 3.5 hours to burn the calories.
The dinner calories were 431, which seem to be a huge different.  Riding my bike after this meal for an hour would keep me fit and trim.


Energetics
My meditation after breakfast was a short walk outside.  It was a sunny 32degrees day.  Then I sat inside looking out at the water, feeling "ready" for my day.  I could not feel any discomfort as I scanned my body.   . The breakfast was sweet with all the fruit and french toast.  This meal was grounding and earthy which is energizing to my spleen, pancreas and stomach.
The dinner was a combination of bitter, which responses to the heart.  Spicy, which energizes the lungs and large intestines.  And also salty, engaging the kidneys and bladder. After dinner I was alert, but ready to chill out.  I still had energy but was ready to slow down and reflect over the day.

Resources:
The World's Healthiest Foods book, George Mateljan
Alkalizing vs Acidifying Foods & Lifestyle Chart
http://www.alderbrooke.com/images/food-combining-chart-back.jpg
ORAC value chart online
www.nutritiondata.com

Patricia

1 comment:

  1. Just finished up a report on food combining.It amazes me over and over again how food combining affects our health and beauty.So many people know so little about it, but it has a huge effect on our digestion and our well being. It is a little secret that can make a huge difference.

    food combining

    ReplyDelete